Question:
Should I tell potential employer I'm pregnant ?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Should I tell potential employer I'm pregnant ?
Fourteen answers:
angelbaby
2006-01-09 15:01:23 UTC
don't tell them....that's none of their business right now and shouldn't help be a deciding factor in your being hired...plus, it's illegal for a potential employer to ask if you are pregnant. But for real, let them look at your qualifications when they're interviewing you. If you throw out the fact that you're pregnant, it could make them decide not to hire you. Wouldn't you rather you didn't get the job just because someone was better qualified, rather than just because you're pregnant and they didn't want to deal with that? good luck!
Eric V
2006-01-09 13:24:34 UTC
You are probably right to think that making this disclosure will greatly decrease your chances of being hired. It is too bad, but a pregancy is generally considered a liability in the workplace.

A greater liability (especially at a bank) is dishonesty, secrecy, and a foundation of lack of trust. I'd suggest you be up front about it. Everyone will be better served by the truth here, in fact, I'd be up front about your having reservations about disclosing that information in the interview, but knew it was the right thing to do. This will go a long way, and peace of mind is a pricey commodity.
kdiosa
2006-01-09 13:28:53 UTC
I would say yes. If you are only 10 weeks, you have a little less than 8 months to work before you would need to take maternity leave. There is no reason why your potential employer should use this against you if you are well-qualified for the position. Besides, I'm sure they will appreciate your candor.
?
2016-09-24 07:03:14 UTC
this is a regulation that they cant fireplace you for being pregnant although this is not a regulation that they ought to hire you. in case you get the activity of your targets finally, what are you going to tell them whilst in 2 months you need to to take 6 weeks off (after basically working there some months) which you're having a infant. style of deceptive. i could tell them up front which you're truly wanting this activity to assist defend this little existence interior. you would be dedicated and prepared to do something to verify that the activity is finished wisely and effeciantly.(sp?) i could say that atleast sixty 5% of the persons you're interviewing for have infants or have had infants and comprehend which you relatively choose particular issues to furnish for them. In sum, i could recommend telling them up front as to no longer piss all people off later for being deceptive that could inturn get you fired in a protracted time or placed a bad mark on your bosses strategies. (much less will advance, much less appreciate) Do the spectacular situation. in case you cant detect a job genuine off an choose one, attempt a temp provider in case you're looking.
2006-01-09 13:29:36 UTC
DON'T ASK DON'T TELL. If it doesn't come up, don't mention it. Is your pregancy going to have an effect on the choice of hiring you or not? If you already had a child and they asked you if you had children, which they really shouldn't you could counter the question by saying "I do but I have reliable child care and it will not be a problem" or something to that effect. Hope it works out!
jollyjeff99
2006-01-09 13:23:11 UTC
No, not until after you are hired. They aren't allowed to ask whether you're pregnant and if you volunteer the information, they may use that as an excuse not to hire you--they'll say you'll quit after the baby is born
ddg2sailor
2006-01-09 20:22:33 UTC
No.

Bottom line... while they may not say it up front they might consider that as an employee you will require several weeks off to be a mommie.

You can always tell them Later... then if they fire you.. Take em to court... Baby needs new shoe's
?
2006-01-09 13:22:11 UTC
Pregnancy Act of 1976 prohibits discrimination based on your being pregnant. Still, I wouldn't tell right away. Wait until you get the job. Then they can't touch you.
autumn
2006-01-09 13:21:47 UTC
The truth is always the best answer. If you do not get hired because you are pregnant, then God must surely have something better planned for you.
700 Club
2006-01-09 13:23:21 UTC
Dont tell them and by law they cannot ask. While it is illegal to not hire someone based on this, but the truth is, how would you ever know if that was the reason you did not get the job.

so do yourself a favor and don't mention it...
dqelmw250
2006-01-09 16:36:49 UTC
I would have to say "NO" for the fact its no-ones bussiness but your own. I could understand if it was heavy lifting,but its not. My aunt works at a bank,and so does my friend being pregnant is not going to matter. "YOU GO GET THAT JOB!"
One
2006-01-09 14:18:05 UTC
No. You are not required to notify your employer of your status.
toing
2006-01-09 13:20:22 UTC
I think you should, they'll find out anyways, they'll ask You to get medical exams before you get in...
2006-01-09 13:26:58 UTC
no your job cannot wait your baby can wait i would hire you go get that job .good luck.