Question:
When do I start to go to the doctor for pregnancy?
Tryin2makeITonMYown
2006-03-30 10:33:47 UTC
I am two days late for my period. I am not stressed out or anything, actually really happy. Getting back in touch with family, and got a new job. I was wondering a couple weeks ago if I was pregnant, because I had been feeling really sick, but everyone said it was too soon. I am going to get a home pregnancy test today. My question is, if I do turn up to be pregnant, when should I start seeing a doctor? And when I see one, is that the same doctor I will have for my whole pregnancy? How do I set up the appointment? Like do I call and say that I need to set up a pregnancy test, to find out if I am actually pregnant? And I have heard about some medical thing I am supposed to get to help pay the doctor bills, how do I get that? I don't have medical benefits from my new job yet, I think you have to be there for a certain amount of time to get them. Also, I have heard about WIC. What exactly is it, and do I have to get it? Is it wise for me to get it? I only make 1300-ish a month at my job?
Twelve answers:
parispretty68
2006-03-30 10:43:59 UTC
Given your lack of knowledge and your fear you should go to the doctor asap. Tell them that you need a confirming test and they will take it from there. You can always change doctors later for any reason especially if your doctor does not deliver babies or does not have hospital privileges at the hospital where you want to have your baby.

There is never enough money to raise a child and there are always unexpected costs. If you and your boyfriend (husband to be) are committed to doing whatever it takes to raise your child then you will always find a way but it will not be without sacrifice. There are social programs like WIC to help with child costs but please figure out if you have extra room in your budget for diapers, formula, childcare, car seat, clothes etc. Handouts are never that great and they are never guaranteed. Good luck and Congrats!
Epponnee-Rae
2006-03-30 10:54:51 UTC
Once you have a positive home preggy test, go to your doctor and get a test done there (blood tests are most accurate). You probably don't have to tell them the reason for your visit on the phone if you don't want people to know.

If you are pregnant, it is definitely advisable to take folic acid. This can be purchased reasonably from places such as Costco or Target (about $10 for enough to last you your whole pregnancy). You may be advised to take a prenatal vitamin. This covers all the major vitamin groups that a pregnant woman needs, as well as folic acid, so there is no need to take a separate folic acid tablet as well.

If the doctors pregnancy test turns out positive, then you will probably go back in 6 weeks for your first check up to a doctor or midwife of your choice.

Seriously though, periods can be late for a number of reasons, and a common one is delayed ovulation. You generally (and I say that loosely) ovulate mid-cycle (releasing of the egg), but stress, illness etc can delay this or even stop it altogether, which can result in a delayed or missed period. The only reason I mention that is because you say you felt really sick a couple of weeks ago, but that wouldn't have been a pregnancy symptom because chances are good that the egg wouldn't have even implanted after fertilization that soon anyway.
grayk51
2006-03-30 10:50:49 UTC
If that pregnancy tests is positive then schedule an appointment with your doctor ASAP. Typically you will go see an OB/GYN, which is an obstetrician/gynecologist, and for the most part he or she will be your doctor the whole pregnancy. If you see a family doctor though they might want you to stay with them. The only time you should need a new doctor is when the baby is born. Then you will need a pediatrician. To find a doctor just look one up either online or in the phone book, or talk to your friends they might have a doctor they love and swear by. There are lots of programs to help with pregnancy, and WIC is a GREAT ONE! It helps you while your pregnant and after. If you are pregnant then you should get on WIC ASAP. The people at WIC can also help you find other programs to help with things such as doctor's bills. WIC stands for women, infants, and children and basically it provides food necessities for you while your pregnant and then for you and your child after birth. To find a WIC site nearest you just look it up online, and call to set up an appointment. It's not something you have to get, but it makes life a hell of a lot easier especially if you bottle-feed. I was on WIC and I loved it.
CAKim
2006-03-30 10:42:12 UTC
Even if you take a home pregnancy test - your doctor will verify with their own tests. It is best to see a doctor as soon as possible - take a home pregnancy test and if it comes out positive then make an appt. There are state programs - depending on where you live that will help with medical bills. Be sure to pick a doctor that accepts state med benefits. WIC provides coupons to buy milk, cheese, cereal - each coupon is for a specific product. Look on-line - you should be able to find info about WIC in your state.
♥[.So.In.Love.]♥
2006-03-30 10:48:25 UTC
You need to go to the doctor ASAP. You need to go to your OB/GYN ask for a test If it's positive they will do everything they are suppose to and they will tell you your due date. and set you up with another appointment. All you have to do is find an OB tell them you want to make an appt. As for as WIC. It's basically getting free dairy products and other products that they feel is necessary for you while being pregnant such as cheese, milk, juice, cereal, eggs, peanut butter, etc. Also when your baby is born they also give you vouchers for formula. When your child turns 6 months they take you off of it and keep the baby on it til the baby turns 1, then you can keep WIC up until they turn 5 years old. They base it off your income so I advise you not to include your boyfriend. And as far as your medical bills (insurance) you can get public assistance they can help you but If you need to know anything else just holla at me.
starlight
2006-03-30 10:48:16 UTC
You can find out as soon as 3 weeks. Most clinics want you to wait 2 weeks after your missed period. Just call your DR. office and tell them you would like a pregnancy test. If you are pregnant they will follow up with you and give you all the details you need. You don't have to have the same Dr. or the same clinic. You can switch whenever you feel like it. Call your County office and ask them about assistants and medical programs they have to offer pregnant women. W.I.C is Women, Infant and Children. It's a program to help you with the proper nutrition while you are pregnant and up until your baby is 2 years old. The program provides you with milk, cheese, beans, peanut butter, juice, cereal and eggs. You get a nice supply of this every month. It doesn't cost you anything but time. You have to go in the office every 3 - 4 months for them to check your child's health and up date any financial changes. It's about a 15 min process. I am a first time mother of one on this program. I hope I was of help.
2006-03-30 10:37:09 UTC
i took a test then went to the doctor the very day. its better to go the next day or get in as soon as they can see you and just mention to them you've just found out ur pregnant, you will blood test to make sure u are pregnant for sure, and to find out how far along u are and if everything is ok. so yah i'd say take the test and if its pos make an appt to see the docs asap
kiannapringle04
2006-03-30 10:41:36 UTC
The same day you find out that your pregnat go to the doctor. Basiclly no because they might switch you. Call around to some doctors like your family doctor or something.Yes you can get help while you are pregnat, you should just ask.
2016-05-20 13:27:25 UTC
My doctors office won't check until you're 38 weeks along most offices start at 36 weeks..
luv9423112
2006-03-30 10:36:18 UTC
Plan you pregnency. Consult your doc and inform her that you wqnt to get pregnent. She will usually put you on Frolic Acid. This medicide is good for fetus.

Do consult your doc at least once in a month.
abp
2006-03-30 10:46:08 UTC
BYE I PREGNANCY TEST SLIDE FROM MEDICAL AND TEST.

IF U DO NOT KNOW THEN GO TO DOCTOR BEFORE PREGNANCY AND KNOW

WHICH TYPE CARE TAKEN DURING PREGNANCY.
2006-03-30 10:36:41 UTC
if you are prego you need to a doctor right away to get on vitiams, your pap smear, and hear the heart beat if it is not to soon