Question:
Natural vs. Medicated vs. Non-Medicated vs. C-Section. What's Your Choice?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Natural vs. Medicated vs. Non-Medicated vs. C-Section. What's Your Choice?
Six answers:
Amber
2016-05-20 09:10:41 UTC
If I have learned anything from Yahoo! Answers, it is that the majority of American women are just NOT well-informed about these issues. Look at this thread -- 'oh, formula's almost as good,' and the genuinely surreal ""I wish I could just throw a bottle together in 5 seconds and feed it to you in like 10 minutes" says the breast feeder" (huh??)... If you had an epidural despite being fully informed of the risks, yay for you. So did I, actually. As part of a calculated and successful bid to avoid a c-section. Next time, doing it at home would be nice indeed... But there're all sorts of "How early can I get the epi?" questions in the 'Pregnancy' section here, from girls with no clue that it's not necessarily a great idea. Formula questions garner a lot of nonsense about how it's just fine for babies because, well, now it has magic ingredient X! It is not. It is still garbage. It is a tragedy and a major public health problem that so many women have been led to believe that formula is a good thing to give an infant. As for the nursing in public criticism -- well, really, who cares? Sorry, but? One thing I don't get is that if you're convinced you made the right decision vis-a-vis some parenting issue, anybody else's criticism should NOT bother you. There're loads of people on here happy to shout at you about how co-sleeping increases SIDS risk no matter how it's done, and about how cuddling a baby to sleep/picking her up the second she looks sad/babywearing/etc will start 'bad habits.' To which I just snicker, and go back to co-sleeping and cuddling with no worries. I don't care how other people feel about my daughter eating in public.
wild_imagination0103
2006-03-01 13:57:30 UTC
Who am I to answer being a man I have never given birth to a child. However I have been there with my wife twice and each time was different from the last. Her first child (my stepson) she had pain meds i wasn't there for that but she said it wasn't to bad. My first son her second she had a rough time with 23 hours of labor trying naturally at first then went to an epideral some where near mid way through. He came out blue and they had a hard time getting him to breath for a moment there the whole world stopped I swear. I thought my first child wasnt going to make it but need less to say everything was fine. Her third son we choose to do naturally and after 4 hours of labor we had our second son. No pain meds nothing and she has said that that one was the most painfull but the easiest lober she has ever experienced. Now we are on our third child together having a little scare at the moment but we have decided to have it naturally if nature permitts. So good luck and hope I may have helped you some.
2006-02-28 10:42:51 UTC
if i got to choose i would do natural all over again!!

i was induced with my son i had absolutly no pain meds i was only in labor for 7 hours and i pushed for 2 1/2 before the doctor finally told me that he was facing up instead of down then he tried to do a vacuum delivery but that didnt work it just ended up ripping me open then i was taken back to a c section where i was given a spial, which i hated it made me feel completely helpless, while they were trying to get my son out he actually pulled his arm away from them and moved up really high in my chest so that it was hard for me to breathe but they finally got him out where i found out that he weighed 10 lbs 4oz and i am only 4ft 11in and 102lbs when i was recovering in the hospital i had so much pain it wasnt even funny so my suggestion to you is to ask for your pain meds before you start to hurt when you are in your room recovering
Redhead
2006-02-28 00:17:27 UTC
I say that NATURAL should always be the first choice. You had a bad experience trying to do the right thing the first time. It happens. Many, many deliveries have complications. I'd say go for it again. Just because it may be completely different this next time.

Plus, remember there are risks involved with epidurals and surgery. Do you want to be the 1% (or whatever it is) that gets paralized from a bad epidural?

Delivering a baby is just a risky activity. But, the female body was designed to bear children, so I think it's best to allow the body to do all it can in a natural way.
Froggie
2006-02-27 20:29:29 UTC
I had my first vaginaly, but I had an epidural. When I was 29 weeks along with my 2nd son, his heart rate dropped really low, so they did an emergency c section. That was really rough. I was so nervous with this last baby because I was afraid he would be a preemie like of my middle son. Well, I had a repeat c section 10 days before his due date. He weighed 10 lbs 8 oz. If I had another baby, I would so prefer a c section anyday.
2006-02-27 21:11:16 UTC
Experienced midwife at home is definitely the safest for most women. The problem is that hospitals and doctors treat pregnancies as illnesses and even call pregnant women their "patients!" The C-section rate is absolutely skyrocketing. Why? Because doctors are scared to death of liability, so they immediately slice you open at the slightest hint of anything they don't know how to deal with. A good midwife knows her limitations and knows when a birth really should be a medical event.

I'm grateful for specialty physicians for birth, but they're not for the majority of young, healthy women. Giving birth for most women is a very normal and healthy event.