Question:
why are pregnant women not suppose to eat honey?
2006-01-25 20:09:07 UTC
why are pregnant women not suppose to eat honey?
Seven answers:
purplekitten
2006-01-25 20:15:03 UTC
Honey can be a danger to children under 1 because of possible food poisoning by botulism toxin. However, it's generally accepted that pregnant women can safely eat honey.

For more info:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/43/3606_275
reynoldskate7
2006-01-25 20:50:53 UTC
Infants under one year of age should never be given honey because their digestive tract is not yet mature enough to break down the spores found in honey that can lead to a frightening disease called botulism; which can cause a variety of problems and can even be fatal. Pregnant women should therefore pass on the honey because although their bodies can break down the harmful spores, the fetus may still be at risk.
2006-01-25 20:11:36 UTC
I have 2 children and Ive never been told during either of my pregnancies not to eat honey. Ive never heard of that. I have however heard that children under the age of 1 shouldnt eat honey. There is something in it that can cause them to have a severe allergic reaction.
Help me please!
2006-01-25 20:15:14 UTC
I have only heard that children under the age of two should not be given honey.
blondy2061h
2006-01-25 20:14:30 UTC
Infants shouldn't eat honey. It can cause Botulism, since it has spores in it.
chedkatz
2006-01-25 20:16:56 UTC
I never heard of that. But its dangerous for babies to eat honey in their first year(can be alergic).
Cecil
2006-01-25 20:11:35 UTC
honey is not processed -pasteurized, etc., and can contain bacteria that are potentially dangerous to the fetus.