Question:
Would a pregnant woman's breast lactate if chest compressions were performed on her?
2006-04-05 22:18:21 UTC
CPR is a very good lifesaving method even if the victim is pregnant.Since chest compressions during CPR were done vigorously,is the lactation among pregnant victims that were resuscitate by this method really a fact?
Two answers:
Jade Orchid
2006-04-05 22:24:58 UTC
It's possible if she were far enough along. She'd have to be started into her milk (or close into natural lactation) which happens about a week or so before birth (that time can very but that's a general average suprisingly enough). Women who have given birth can also litteraly spray milk during CPR for as long as they lactate. Any stimulation to the areola or nipple (and sometimes even the tissue surrounding these areas) can cause milk runnoff in a lactating woman. This can include CPR, tight clothing, shower water, or a multitude of of other things. It's the very reason why absorbent pads are made for breast feeding (or women trying to stop lactation) women.

To answer your question directly it IS possible but not likely, every condition would have to be right for CPR to start a woman into lactation during pregnany. The conditions include the time CPR was administered during pregnancy and the woman's tendency to come easily to milk anongst other things. Hope I've helped... :)
angel_salvador716
2006-04-06 05:24:54 UTC
In my opinion and experience, no it will not lactate. I have a year and 2 month old son who I still nurse and lactation is usually stimulated by the baby's "sucking" of the breasts. Just my honest opinion :D