Question:
I am getting on the depo provera shot tomorrow and want to know some side affects, or what to expect?
Angel52186
2006-03-12 14:29:59 UTC
When I finally decide to have children, how long do I have to wait after getting off of the shot before I can get pregnant? Any answers will help. Thanks
Eighteen answers:
Lee
2006-03-12 14:32:45 UTC
If u really wanna know... read on!

The common "less serious side effects" from Depoprovera include:

Menstrual irregularities side effect. This includes bleeding and spotting

Amenorrhea or not having any periods in another side effect of Depo Provera.

You may experience a spotty darkening of the skin, usually around or on the face; this side effect/symptom may not go away completely.

Weight gain due to increased appetite is a common side effect of Depo Provera

Pregnancy-like symptoms include sore breasts, nausea, fatigue, and abdominal discomfort; they may occur after the first four injections but usually go away.

After a year of Depo Provera injections, 57 percent of women are not menstruating.

After two years of taking Depo Provera, 68 percent of women are not menstruating.

If you stop getting Depo Provera injections, your period usually returns within 3 to 10 months.

After the last injection of Depo Provera, a significant side effect is that it takes an average of 9 to 12 months to become pregnant.

Other symptoms and side effects may include headache, dizziness, nervousness, some loss of scalp hair, some increase in body hair, decreased sex drive, leg cramps, and bloating. They may or may not be caused by Depo Provera . Report any of these side effects to your medical provider immediately.
nc_girl2005
2006-03-13 01:23:05 UTC
I posted this earlier about Depo:

I was on the depo shot after my first baby in 2001. I later stopped getting them after about 3 years. I actually got pregnant again in late 2004. I was getting the shot again after my second baby was born. Now I have stopped since my husband got a vasectomy. I noticed while on the shot I gained weight. Also my periods were all wacky. I could go 2 months or the whole 3 months without a period. I also had very bad mood swings. I also had absolutly no energy and was tired all the time. I am only 24 years old. After getting off the shot the first time I started to lose some of the weight and my periods returned to normal. Someone in another post mentioned that depo depleets the calcium in your body. I fractured my ankle when I stepped down wrong when I was 8 months pregnant with my 2nd child. Normally the way I twisted my ankle would have caused maybe a sprain. But I cracked the bone. Now I am wondering if the depo provera caused my bones to be more brittle.

Also it makes your hair fall out easily. Not saying you will go bald but i noticed when I was on it the shower drain was constantly getting clogged with my hair.
krzbitch
2006-03-12 21:02:01 UTC
Please avoid this shot at all costs!!!!! It will cause you nothing but miserable pms symptoms, an injection site that is sore for days, massive weight gain, and if you use for over a year your risks for bone loss increases drastically. It took me almost 3 years to get pregnant after I got off of it, I had horrible menstrual irregularities for those 3 years. I would get my period for 3-4 days losing about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups a day, and returning after only 2 weeks. It was by far the absolute worst experience I have ever had with any birth control. Do know there is a class action law suit pending, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was pulled off the market for its risks and terrible side effects.
2006-03-12 14:37:40 UTC
I've been on the shot for about 3 1/2 years. You may suffer weight gain in my case loss). I experienced depression, and no period at all. My sister, however, never stopped having one. My body started overpowering the shot, causing small, occassional periods. My doc told me when this happens, it is even more possible to get pregnant. She also told me that after getting off the shot, it could take up to 2 years, if not longer, before I would be able to get pregnant again.
Nicholle
2006-03-13 09:19:50 UTC
Run do not walk away from your doctor !!!!

I took depo when I was like 18 or 19 and that crap was terrible. I was very depressed, bled like a slaughtered cow, gained 30 pounds and just overall had a terrible experience. I got off of it after the 3rd shot.

If you dont want something you have to take every day, i strongly suggest a condom plus the VCF vaginal contraceptive film. you insert it into your vagina, it dissolves and then acts as a spermicide for up to two hours and you can always insert another one later on, as long as its 15 minutes before contact.It is available at planned parenthood and drug stores like walgreens and rite aid or cvs

if you value your mental and physical health the side effects of depo are not worth it. plus depo doesnt protect you from diseases so you would still need to use condoms. if the guy doesnt want to use condoms you have to ask yourself why youre having sex with him.
half_cowgirl_half_angel
2006-03-12 18:15:25 UTC
My best friend did Depo, and she bled for almost 8 weeks straight! After she switched back to the Pill, everything went back to normal. After seeing her go through it, I will never try it, either. I'd rather take a pill than be menstral for 2 months! And it seems like a lot of other people who have answered your question have had side effects as well. Definately something to keep in mind before you commit to it.
nay
2006-03-12 17:23:14 UTC
I was on that. I had to stop because I was heavy spotting day after day after day. then it would stop for a couple then start up again. They say it will take up to a year if not longer to have a child. It also takes that long for your body to start having periods on a normal mounth to mounth. I was in the small % of girls who spotted while on the shot. So I wouldn't worry about that to much. Also if you decide to get off of the shot. I get on the pill afterwards for a couple mounths just so that you have a normal period faster.
Gevera Bert
2006-03-14 11:18:39 UTC
Expect to gain lots and lots of weight. Every time I got a shot I felt like someone was inflating me like a balloon. Your period will go all funky or go away, and it takes a while after your last shot for it to come back.

Find a better way to keep from getting pregnant.
dirty.angel
2006-03-12 19:29:40 UTC
I've been getting this for a good few years now. I started getting it after I had my second child. Personally I think its great but I also know women who hate it. I did put weight on and my periods stopped completely.When my partner and I decided we wanted another baby it took nearly 2 years for my periods to come back but I only had one period and I was pregnant again.The best person to get advice from is your doctor or family planning clinic.
2006-03-12 14:35:24 UTC
You don't usually have to wait to long. I didn't like depo provera shot, I bled on and off heavy for 6 months, and was always tired.
pumpkin1720
2006-03-12 17:38:38 UTC
I gained ALOT of weight when I was on it! So I went off, I was also told by the nurse that if you are heavier then there is a chance it may not be a very effective form of birth control. But then again, everyone is different!
Lanani
2006-03-12 15:50:06 UTC
DON'T get it.. I got it and regretted it.

After the first shot, my periods lasted for several weeks at a time. They never stopped. I gained weight, and I felt weird.

After I stopped getting them, it took me a year for my periods to finally, finally get back to normal. Try the patch instead, it's better.
MM
2006-03-12 14:40:09 UTC
I THINK YOU SHOULD GET THE BIRTH CONTROL PILLS BECAUSE THE SHOT GIVES YOU HEADACHE,NAUSEA,CRAMP ON YOR BACK OF YOUR LEGS,WATER RETENTION,WEIGHT GAIN AND SOME PEOPLE GET DEPRESS.ANOTHER NEGATIVE THING ABOUT THE SHOT IS THAT IF YOU WANT TO HAVE KIDS YOU HAVE TO WAIT ATLEAST A YEAR BECAUSE THE MEDICINE WILL STILL BE IN YOUR BODY AND IT IS HARD TO GET PREGNANT SO THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU MAKE THAT DECISION.
Efece1974
2017-03-02 05:38:36 UTC
1
2006-03-12 14:32:23 UTC
Contact your physician, or your local Planned Parenthood office. You can ask confidential questions and obtain a printout describing the side effects and further information regarding this type of birth control.
2006-03-12 14:35:58 UTC
women will give you all different kinds of answers you can thank the x chromesomes for that. women are all different. but what you can expect 90 days of bleeding and then no period for months. once you have a period again you can have kids. that's pretty much it. i think.
2006-03-12 14:31:34 UTC
Your sex drive will vanish. On the plus side, you'll get a lot more work done.
krfj153
2006-03-12 14:32:34 UTC
idk