Question:
Carrying to Term vs. Inducing Labor?
sweet_sassy_female
2006-03-27 19:02:56 UTC
I am debating rather or not I should induce labor or just carry my baby to term. My husband thinks that we should just leave that up to the doctor, but I would like to know if there are any risks with inducing labor? Is it better to induce rather than carry to term? Help, I'm kinda confused.
Seventeen answers:
reflect47
2006-03-27 19:16:19 UTC
If your labor hasn't started on its own, your practitioner can use certain techniques to bring on (or "induce") contractions. She can use some of the same procedures to augment, or speed up, your labor if you stop progressing for some reason. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, about one in five births in the United States is induced.

Why would my labor be induced?

Your labor might need to be induced if the risks of prolonging your pregnancy are higher than the risks of delivering your baby right away. The most common reasons for this include:

• Your water breaks and your labor doesn't start on its own within a reasonable amount of time. (Exactly how long that is will depend on your healthcare practitioner and your particular situation.)

• You're still pregnant one to two weeks past your due date. Most practitioners won't let you wait longer than that to give birth because it puts you and your baby at greater risk for a host of problems. For example, it's more likely you'll develop an infection in your uterus that could be dangerous for your baby, or that your placenta will stop functioning properly, which could lead to a stillbirth or a baby born with serious problems. What's more, your labor is more likely to be prolonged or stalled, both you and your baby have an increased risk of injury during a vaginal delivery, and your chances of needing a c-section are higher.

• Tests show that, for whatever reason, your placenta isn't functioning properly, you have too little amniotic fluid, or your baby isn't thriving or growing as he should.

• You develop preeclampsia, a serious condition that can endanger your health and restrict the flow of blood to your baby.

• You have a chronic or acute illness — such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or kidney disease — that threatens your health or the health of your baby.

• You've previously had a full-term stillbirth.

What are some of the techniques used to induce labor?

The methods your practitioner would use to induce labor depend on the condition of your cervix at the time. If your cervix hasn't started to soften, efface (thin out), or dilate (open up), it's considered "unripe," or not yet ready for labor. In that case, your practitioner would use either hormones or "mechanical" methods to ripen your cervix before the induction. Sometimes these procedures end up jump-starting your labor as well.

Some of the methods used to ripen the cervix and induce labor are:

• Stripping or sweeping the membranes. If your cervix is already somewhat dilated, your practitioner can insert her finger through it and manually separate your bag of waters from the lower part of your uterus. This causes the release of hormones called prostaglandins, which may help further ripen your cervix and possibly get contractions going. In most cases, this procedure is done during an office visit. You're then sent home to wait for labor to start, usually within the next few days. Many moms-to-be find this procedure uncomfortable or even painful, though the discomfort is short-lived.

• Using prostaglandin medications. Your practitioner may try to ripen your cervix by inserting medication that contains prostaglandins into your vagina. This medication may also stimulate contractions — sometimes enough to jump-start your labor.

• Using a Foley catheter. Your practitioner may insert a catheter with a very small uninflated balloon at the end of it into your cervix. When the balloon is inflated with water, it puts pressure on your cervix, stimulating the release of prostaglandins, which cause the cervix to open and soften. When your cervix begins to dilate, the balloon falls out and the catheter is removed.

• Rupturing the membranes. If your cervix is at least a few centimeters dilated, your practitioner can insert a small, plastic hooked instrument into it and break your bag of waters. This procedure causes no more discomfort than a vaginal exam. If your cervix is very ripe and ready for labor, there's a small chance that this alone might be enough to get your contractions going. If that doesn't happen, your practitioner will give you the drug oxytocin (Pitocin) through an IV. Once your water has broken, most practitioners will want you to deliver within the next 12 to 24 hours because the risk of infection for you and your baby increases over time.

• Using Pitocin. Pitocin is a synthetic form of the hormone oxytocin, which your body naturally produces during labor. Your practitioner may give you this drug through an IV pump to start or augment your contractions. She can adjust the amount you need according to how your labor progresses.

What risks are associated with inducing labor?

The primary risk you face if you're induced is that the induction won't work and you'll need a cesarean. The process of ripening the cervix and then inducing labor with oxytocin can take a long time. If you still haven't gone into labor after 24 to 48 hours, your practitioner may consider it a failed attempt and you'll have to deliver by c-section. This process can be very hard psychologically on you and your partner. What's more, having a c-section after a failed induction is associated with higher rates of complications, especially infection, and longer hospital stays.

In addition, certain techniques, including using Pitocin, prostaglandins, or nipple stimulation, occasionally hyperstimulate the uterus (meaning you have contractions that come too often or are abnormally long and strong), which in turn can stress your baby. In rare cases, prostaglandins or Pitocin also cause placental abruption or even uterine rupture, though ruptures are extremely rare in women who've never had a c-section or other uterine surgery. (Prostaglandins are associated with a relatively high rate of rupture in women attempting a vaginal birth after a cesarean (VBAC), so they should never be used if that's the case. And some experts don't think women attempting VBAC should be induced with Pitocin, either.)

To assess both the frequency and length of your contractions as well as your baby's heart rate, you'll need to have continuous electronic monitoring during an induced labor. In most cases you have to lie or sit while being monitored, but some hospitals offer telemetry, which lets you walk around during the process.

Remember that your practitioner will recommend inducing your labor only when she believes that the risks to you and your baby of waiting for labor to begin on its own are higher than the risks of intervening.

Are there any circumstances in which my labor shouldn't be induced?

Yes. You'll need to have a c-section rather than a labor induction whenever it would be unsafe to labor and deliver vaginally, including the following situations:

• Tests indicate that your baby needs to be delivered immediately or can't tolerate contractions.

• You have a placenta previa; you have a vasa previa (when blood vessels from the umbilical cord are embedded in the amniotic membranes and at risk for rupture during labor); or the cord is lying in front of your baby's head and could be compressed as his head enters the birth canal or prolapse through your cervix when your water breaks.

• Your baby is in a breech or transverse position, meaning that he's not coming head-first.

• You've had more than one c-section. (Some practitioners believe that women with even one previous c-section shouldn't be induced.)

• You had a previous c-section with a "classical" (vertical) uterine incision or other uterine surgery, such as a myomectomy (surgery to remove fibroids).

• You're having twins and the first baby is breech, or you're having triplets or more.

• You have an active genital herpes infection.

Are there any techniques I can try myself at home to get my labor going?

No do-it-yourself methods have been proven consistently to be both safe and effective. Here's the scoop on some of the techniques you may have heard about:

• Nipple stimulation: Twisting or pinching your nipples releases your own natural oxytocin. A few studies have found it to be effective in getting labor going within 72 hours if your cervix is already ripe, but the method has not been well studied. And don't try it at home: Nipple stimulation requires monitoring because it can sometimes cause prolonged contractions that could stress your baby and depress his heart rate.

• Sexual intercourse: Having sex won't induce labor, but it can't hurt to try! Semen contains some prostaglandin, and having an orgasm may stimulate a few contractions.

• Castor oil: Castor oil is a strong laxative, and stimulating your bowels may cause some contractions, but no good studies have proven it consistently effective, and you're likely to find the effect on your gut very unpleasant.

• Herbal remedies. A variety of herbs are touted as useful for labor induction. Some are risky because they can hyperstimulate your uterus (and may be unsafe for your baby for other reasons as well), and the safety and effectiveness of others remains unproven.
bp2
2006-03-27 19:18:11 UTC
Why induce? I'm not sure what kind of question this really is. In Manitoba, doctors only induce if there are complications or the baby is in distress. I was induced for both of my kids....BUT... not until after the water broke and I wasn't dilating after two+ days. Both kids were full term and were born 2 days early. The only other time inducing occurs is if the baby is seriously overdue. This is done because the placenta starts to calcify and nutrients can't pass through the placenta to the baby. Full term is always better. The baby's are healthier, stronger, have better immune system responses, and have been found to have increased intelligence. Of course breast feeding for a minimum of 1 year helps immunity and intelligence.

My vote ..... Full term, unless your doctor has a good reason to induce.
cute_blondie_angel
2006-03-27 19:15:51 UTC
It really depends on the health of the mother and baby.

For example, so doctors recommend inducing labor if the mother has gestational diabetes ( this can make the baby too large to deliver), if the mother has a rapid heart beat, if either the mother or baby is in stress.

I would try and wait to have a full term baby, for the baby's sake. Sometimes inducing labor puts the baby at risk. A babys umbilical cord can be rapped around the babys neck, and inducing labor can cause stronger than normal contractions and thus tighten the umblical cord and cut off oxygen supply to the baby. Also, with inducing labor, you are putting yourself at risk for the placenta tearing, which is life threatening to both you and baby.

Inducing labor start labor, but it isnt natural. It makes contractions stronger than normal. With my first son, they induced labor, and it cause such hard and strong contractions, taht the baby was in distress and his heart rate dropped. I had to get an emergency c-section because of it. The chances of a c-section greatly increase with labor induction.

Good luck on your decision!
RadMe02
2006-03-27 20:21:53 UTC
You normally carry to term, unless there are complications, then they induce labor. Some babies are premature when being induced, because of complications with the pregnancy. Others are induced because they are late. Your husband it right about leaving the inducing of labor up to your doctor. I think you should ask your doctor, if it is better to induce rather than carry to term, if that is what you would like to do.
2006-03-27 19:50:31 UTC
Well I definitely speak from experience on this one. When I had my youngest daughter, my doctor suggested inducing labor for convenience, and on a day that she was on-call. That is the only thing I regret about her delivery. I had to stay in bed 80% of the time because of the medicines they used, my tailbone hurt so bad, the pitocin makes the contractions a lot more intense than normal, etc. However, if you plan on having an epidural or other strong medication then most of these problems won't apply to you. My desire was to labor without drugs, walking and relaxing in the shower. I had a hard time doing most of this because of the type of labor-inducing drugs I had. Definitely discuss this thoroughly with your doctor and they can tell you what the induction will entail and what your options are. Barring any medical necessity, I'd avoid an induction. Congrats, good luck and God bless!!
monkeybailey
2006-03-27 19:07:22 UTC
It's always better to carry to term if your baby is healthy and not in distress because this is letting nature take it's course. Inducing can lead to an unwanted c-section if things aren't progressing properly and inducing also can make labor itself more painful for you because it causes your body to produce powerful contractions quicker. One benefit of inducing is that you get to pinpoint when you will have the baby a little better. For example your doctor may suggest inducing if they are going to be gone over the weekend and it would mean you would be with another doctor. Even so inducing doesn't always mean you will have the baby quickly. Another reason for inducing would be if you are past your due date and the baby is getting bigger and going to be more difficult for you to deliver vaginally.

Hope this helps!
donna
2006-03-28 12:50:18 UTC
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry to term unless their is a risk to your health or the babies health. I know the latter half of pregnancy is uncomfortable but is is a short time compared to the damage that could last your child a life time should you induce. Induction is soooooooooo painful. I had it done on my DOCTORS ORDERS because I was far over my due date. as a matter of fact this child was so stubborn they induced me twice. It really really hurts beyond normal child birth. I have given birh 4 times and believe me the Induced Birth which was the 4th was the worst. Also if you can find a doctor that will induce you for no logical reason they should be reported to the Medical Association where they could loose their license.
♫Hope♫
2006-03-27 20:31:48 UTC
If your baby is at a healthy weight - over 6 pounds - and has functioning lungs, which can be seen in an ultrasound, then I would think inducing would be okay.

Ask your Doctor!

Due to high blood pressure, I was induced at 36 weeks. It was because my placenta started to detach, so it wasn't a choice. My son had problems his first 12 hours but after that he did really good. He is now almost 2 and is a little on the small side, but we were told to expect that until he is 3.

Remember - it is your husband's child too.

I wish you the best, whichever you choose!
jenteacher2001
2006-03-27 21:51:53 UTC
I just read an article on that today...the average pregnancy in the United States right now is actually 39 weeks, not fourty, due to women getting induced and setting their own due dates.

The article said that this is becoming a hot topic because it is better to let nature decide when your baby is ready, and not the doctors who try to fit you in their busy schedules. Only your body knows when your baby is truly ready to be born.

Now in very few cases this is different, and docs have to induce labor, like in cases of fetal distress...that is why fewer women and babies die during birth than in the past.

But if you have a healthy pregnancy, the best course of action is to let your body say when the time is right.

The risks of inducing labor can be it leading to having to have a c-section, the babies lungs could not be fully developed...

Hope this helps, and congratulations to you and your sweet baby that is coming. I am pregnant too, due in mid-June.
2006-03-28 01:42:56 UTC
Inducing labor really isn't a good idea. Both my boys were overdue, first one was a week and a half and second one was two weeks. I had labor induced and it was awful. It was soooo painful, and did bring about problems with my first son. He went into cardiac arrest, and I almost lost him. It's really traumatic on the baby.
2016-05-20 10:42:22 UTC
1. The contractions were very painful- someone once told me they felt like severe menstrual cramps. Well, I have terribly painful periods and needless to say, the contractions were nothing like menstrual cramps to me. To me it felt like the incredible hulk had reached into my womb and was squeezing my uterus as hard as he could, then I got the epidural and had no more pain :) 2. I was given pitocin 9 pm the night before, at 6 am the following morning they started the pitocin drip, I was 1 cm dilated. At 10 am they turned up the pitocin and i was 4 cm dilated, at 2:00 pm I was 10 cm, they called the doctor in and a couple nurses, I pushed less than 10 times and had my daughter at 2:25 that afternoon. 3. First 4. Concerns with my daughters growth, suspected IUGR, but turned out to be completely fine, 6 lbs. 4 oz. (she could have stayed in there longer.) My daughter was not too small, did not have IUGR and was perfectly healthy. I will not let my next child be born via induction again unless absolutely necessary.
mommy3_05
2006-03-27 19:26:16 UTC
I have 2 births that have happened on their own and one induction. My dear if you can carry to term then do it, going into labor naturally on the bodies own terms makes life a lot easier on you. When you have an induction they pump you full of drugs to kick start your body into labor and the contractions are much hard and More intense with an induction as well. Let your body do it's own natural thing, never rush nature because rushing nature never turns out well my dear
joshandashleydorn
2006-03-27 19:21:13 UTC
I think it's more healthy to carry to term. It's more natural, unless the baby is in distress. Listen to your doctors advice, but keep your own wants in mind. It's better to do it the old natural way, wait it out, remember they didn't induce 100 years ago and people still managed to give birth. Good luck!
cutekeeps
2006-03-27 19:08:16 UTC
I would follow doctors orders, i was suppose to be induced at thirty eight weeks and went into labor two days before that. And all went well. good luck and wish ya the best.
Laura
2017-03-02 07:00:34 UTC
1
2006-03-28 11:49:59 UTC
Usually they wont induce you if your not having any complications or if your not overdue.
downsouthgeorigagrl
2006-03-27 21:19:34 UTC
i would carry to full term